Bellaire Youth Initiative (BYI) after school programs serve children and youth of all ages, and encompass a broad range of focus areas including academic support, mentoring, youth development, arts, and sports and recreation. The activities in which children and youth engage while outside of school hours are critical to their development, highlighting the need for quality afterschool programs in all communities.
Eagles Nest, Robotics, Science Club, Tutoring, Performing Arts, Sewing Club, Cooking, Student Community Garden, Biking, Snowshoeing, Ski Club, Golf, Bellaire Ice Rink and new this year: Guitar lessons, Gun Safety and Drone Club are our initiatives, that encourage and involve teamwork, help with homework and tutoring, community projects, small group projects, activities which promote cultural diversity and acceptance, zero tolerance to bullying, activities which teach life skills and snacks. We began a Summer Lunch Program in 2019 that was a success, continuing this summer! We are always open to potential new initiatives, please share ideas.
Offered: Tuesday afternoons from 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM during the school year.
Where: In a safe and nurturing environment at –
The John R. Rodger Elementary School
6535 John Rodgers Rd.
Bellaire, Michigan 49615
Eligibility: Open enrollment for –
Any child, Kindergarten through 3rd Grade living in the Bellaire School district or attending the John Rodger Elementary School
Staff: Includes –
- One Coordinator that plans and organizes activities
- Adult volunteers that donate their time to interact with the children and assist them with homework and projects
Activities: At each session the children are able to participate in a variety of activities –
- Creative art
- Outside Fun
- Homework Assistance
- Planned Field Trips
- Healthy Snacks
Our Mission: “To provide a safe and nurturing environment where youth meet to relax, learn, share and be themselves in a supervised setting with dedicated volunteers and their peers”.
The Bellaire Youth Initiative (BYI) Eagles Nest Elementary School Program, offered by the Bellaire Youth Initiative, is held in the John Rodger Elementary School at 6535 John R. Rodger Rd in Bellaire. It is offered one afternoon a week, after school from 3:00 – 5:00. Any child, Kindergarten through 3rd grade living in the Bellaire School District can attend free of charge.
The BYI Eagles Nest coordinator plans fun, creative activities for the children. Adult volunteers generously donate their time and come weekly to interact with the children and assist them with their homework and projects.
When the children arrive after school they are offered a healthy, appealing snack. They are given the opportunity to work on a creative activity, play table games, go outside or play in the gym. Every child has the opportunity to work on a tablet and or computer during their time at BYI Eagles Nest.
Happy faces and loving hearts are the focus of the BYI Eagles Nest.
Bellaire Robotics is a club supported financially by BYI and grants obtained by the school.
- This Robotics class is managed by and for by and for grades 2 – 12.
- The Middle School and High School Science teachers lead these groups.
- The kids build the robots, program them, and the teams compete with each other
- It’s more fun !!!! Whether your child participates, or you volunteer, it just so interesting and fun!!
- The middle school and high school teachers hold a 2-hour open period on Fridays from 3:00 to 5:00 PM for help and competitive practice.
- There are Robotics workshops held in advance of the fall semester for both students and mentors.